Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Today, 07:27 AM   #1
Mc2
Winnebago Watcher

HELP - Mice eating wires and more MINNIE PLUS 26RBSS

I have a 2018 Winnebagor Towable (26RBSS) and my friendly rodent population is causing my fuses to blow. I live in the Ozarks and naively thought I was keeping them under control but no. Anyway, the fuses for the center, rear, propane detector and radio/tv have blown. After looking on the Winnebago website I was very excited seeing electrical diagrams available only to find out that the Towables are obviously the redheaded stepchild of the company. I spoke to a very nice representative who sent me many of the diagrams for the towable but they do not show where the wires run, they are very generic. I pulled the breaker panel hoping there was a nest behind it that I would be able to easily resolve but no. I see evidence of the rodents but no apparent shorted wires. the bundles run towards the front, up and down towards the back (I think). I tried to run an endoscope along the wires to see where they are going but did not get very far. So I am taking a breather to see if anyone has had similar problems or better yet, if anyone has better diagrams showing in more detail where the wires actually run so I can try to find and fix the problems.

Thanks
Mc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some DC wire insulation is soybean oil based and unfortunately rodents like to chew it. They will regularly chew on something to keep their teeth from becoming too long.

If you are able to DIY you may just want to remove interior cabinets and inspect and repair all the rodent damage, you may want to do new wire runs inside split loom tubing so if any guests return they will find something to chew on besides hidden wire runs.

You'll have to eliminate all the current guests and find and seal every opening larger than a dime to stop future entry. There is spray expanding foam insulation that has rodent repellent in it that I suggest would be good for closing all the openings.

On my formerly owned TT I found that the factory had used an expanding foam that was very brittle and not flexible so it would break and separate as the trailer was moved around. There were lots of gaps and openings that rodents and insects could use for entry. It only takes a dime size opening for a rodent.

I used steel wool and rodent resistant expanding spray foam to close all the openings. I found that in addition to the openings for wiring, plumbing, and propane that there were also openings where they had cut the floor for the wheel wheels that were not totally sealed up.

This was not on a Winn Towable but on a Heartland Edge , but I suspect they are both built about the same way so hopefully my observations will help. Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote