Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2024, 06:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie nothing works

Having many issues with my new Micro mini and went camping and started my 2 Yamaha inverters and bam nothing worked. I used the parallel cord to marry the two making 4000 watts but it shut down surge protector ect 1760 model
Brewyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 09:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome.

Ok let’s start at the beginning… it’s good you bought a surge protector for when you are plugged in to shore power. But you don’t need to use it when plugged into your generator. That’s the problem. Remove it and like magic everything will work.

Use the surge protector when you plug into a power pedestal at a campground, that’s where you need protection from bad power, not from your generator.

The surge protector is looking for a bonded ground and is shutting down because your generator doesn’t have a bonded ground. You can add one to it easily, but unless your surge protector is hard installed in your RV you really don’t need it.

Next your generators are “inverter” generators but you call them generators not inverters. Yes there is an inverter inside the generator but that’s immaterial. It’s just a generator.

On RV forums we talk a lot about inverters. But that’s a different kind of inverter. Like a generator it’s producing 110v AC power but is doing it from batteries not from a gas engine.

Lastly, your RV is a Micro Minnie not a Mini Winni like you originally had in your tile which I changed for you. Winnebago uses a lot of Minnie, Micro and Winnie names and they are specific to specific models. So getting the terminology right is important.

Don’t worry. When you start RVing there are lots of new things to learn. We’ve all been there
Old 05-07-2024, 04:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hello and welcome.

Ok let’s start at the beginning… it’s good you bought a surge protector for when you are plugged in to shore power. But you don’t need to use it when plugged into your generator. That’s the problem. Remove it and like magic everything will work.

Use the surge protector when you plug into a power pedestal at a campground, that’s where you need protection from bad power, not from your generator.

The surge protector is looking for a bonded ground and is shutting down because your generator doesn’t have a bonded ground. You can add one to it easily, but unless your surge protector is hard installed in your RV you really don’t need it.

Next your generators are “inverter” generators but you call them generators not inverters. Yes there is an inverter inside the generator but that’s immaterial. It’s just a generator.

On RV forums we talk a lot about inverters. But that’s a different kind of inverter. Like a generator it’s producing 110v AC power but is doing it from batteries not from a gas engine.

Lastly, your RV is a Micro Minnie not a Mini Winni like you originally had in your tile which I changed for you. Winnebago uses a lot of Minnie, Micro and Winnie names and they are specific to specific models. So getting the terminology right is important.

Don’t worry. When you start RVing there are lots of new things to learn. We’ve all been there
Thanks again there so many questions that were not answered at the dealer. Like did they drain the Rv coolant,what are those outlets marked inverter ready,How hook up the Blue ox,how to remove the cover off the batteries,etc I own a small business and I make sure ever think is ok and I never never had a call back or bad complaint.
Brewyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is often a case of a dealer who sells several different brands and doesn't know many of the small details of each brand and each year as they are often different and change yearly!
So we are left with learning the tricks of each RV and it's pretty much like when we move into a new house or apartment that is fully set up. We may get a bunch of booklets or we may not!
In the case with the generators, how would the dealer know which generator and what needed to be done?
And there ARE many things that we need to learn as we go along.
Some are simple, while others are things we may never learn enough!
Like the question of anti-freeze being drained? That is pretty simple as I would never trust somebody else to sanitize the water system and that means the tank and lines gets drained and flushed with chlorine!
Outlets marked inverter ready likely means you will be able to get power from them when not plugged to shore power. BUT you will need to know when and how to turn the inverter on!
How to hook up a tow car will be different for each car or brand of tow equipment used. Not an RV dealers issue!

Maybe like when you buy a fishing rod? They may tell you how to turn the crank but that doesn't mean we know how to fish!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Nothing works

Creativepart, great advice. This happened to me in my 2003 Lazy Daze with a built in Progressive Surge protector. I had to bypass the protector by pushing a button on the monitor per there advice to bypass allowing my Honda 2000 to work. Ground issue for sure. Never had any problems using it.
Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
This happened to me in my 2003 Lazy Daze with a built in Progressive Surge protector. I had to bypass the protector by pushing a button on the monitor per there advice to bypass allowing my Honda 2000 to work. Ground issue for sure. Never had any problems using it.
Travato John
For folks in the future that have this issue. You can buy or make a neutral ground bonding plug that fixes this issue. You simply plug it into an open A/C receptacle on the generator.

$2 if you make your own or $8 on Amazon.

Here's all there is to it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 12.53.36 PM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	188901