Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2024, 05:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New owner here with a new Micro Minnie 1700BH

I am picking up a new Micro Minnie 1700BH in a couple of days. I'm excited and nervous. I've never owned a RV or travel trailer before. I am trying to learn all I can. My wife is super excited and not nervous at all. She hasn't thought of the responsibilities and requirements of one. Plus, she has way more confidence in me than I probably deserve. I am looking forward to learning from all of you.
DaveCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum Dave!
Congratulations on the new toy, and enjoy the adventure! Hopefully you’ll get some trips in before the end of the season.
Bill
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 07:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

One of the best ways to avoid diappointments on trips is to first read the manuals on different parts of the Rv. The RV is made up of a group of parts and appliances that are very different than what we use at home. Understanding those differences and how we need to accept that they are different, may be a good first step!

Things like a furnace? We all know how a furnace operates at home. Fire comes on, blower comes on and we get warm! TOTALLY different operation in RV!
We have different oeprations as we need totally different safety items, so reading and understaning the differt things to expect is one way to gain confidence!
Think what a confused wife you may have when the furnace blower comes on and blows cold air brfore the fire even lights?
You can look like a real hero if you can know that from reading the manuals to explain the difference from home!
You can't use most of the appliances the same as we do at home, so knowing what to expect and what the limits are can avoid lots of confusion.
Likely, you will learn to shower different and things like brushing your teeth may need to change to get the best use of limited water tanks and waste storage!
Hint? Don't turn the water on and let it run a few gallons down the drain while you brush!
Small points to know on the electrical may help also. Knowing where to find breakers or fuses can be a big help when one suddenly tripped when you really need things to work!
On trailers there seems to be a hidden spot on many of the newer trailers and it trips severl folks as they have never looked up under the trailer tougne !
I might suggest a quick look to see if you have that hidden spot. It's a tough one to spot as you may have to lay on the ground and look up at the trailer from like looking under the propane tanks? Do you have a bunch of wiring and connections? If your trailer is one of those, they seem to be a problem and there are restable breakers that are hard to recognize if not used to them.

Not to worry you but to points how how you may be able to avoid some really bigger disappointments by being better prepared for it!
Best of luck and I recommend doing some short, close by trips where you have connections to water and electricity as way to break into the game slower and with more help nearby!
Most RV folks are willing to lend a word of advise when needed. None of us started out knowing about RV and STILL get caught short now and then!
That's how we get to know the folks on the next space!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Team

There is much you can learn and, in fact, do to make this a better experience over all.

This all starts at the dealership when picking up your new TT.

First, tell the salesperson that you will require a FULL lengthy PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). This means you will spend two or more hours going through the TT examining every system and you will expect the dealer to demonstrate (teaching you and proving to you) that everything is working properly. Many, too many, dealers rush this part, or schedule your pickup too late in the day. Let them know you will not accept this kind of PDI.

You will do the PDI before you sign and close on the RV. If your TT has problems during the PDI don’t accept the TT anyway with a promise that they’ll fix it later. Too many have found this to be a problem later. Once you’ve paid for the TT the dealer’s desire to make good on things dwindles rapidly.

Be aware that, just like buying a car, at the Closing the F&I person will try to sell you all manor of worthless overpriced “must have” options. Their job is to maximize profit for the dealer. Chief amount these things will be a “extended warranty.”

First, you should consider long and hard if you want one. Unlike motorhomes, travel trailers just don’t have that many expensive items that are even covered by such a warranty. Even then you need to know two things: first, it’s not a warranty it’s breakdown insurance is designed to actually pay for as few, if any, breakdowns as possibly. Next the dealership is the worst place to buy one of these contracts. They buy them cheap and sell them at a huge markup. They make a fortune on these and even if they “discount” it to entice you to buy you will be overpaying.

If you want an extended service contract you can buy one later from an independent seller later for much less money. The dealer will likely tell you that everyone buys a warranty and theirs is the best. Neither of which are true.

Best of luck, and as Richard said, it’s really best if you leave the dealer and go to a campground as close as possible to the dealer for a 1 to 3 -day stay in your new TT. This will show you three things - what works and what’s not working, what you don’t know about the operation of your RV and lastly what you need to purchase to augment your new travel trailer.

Hers an article that may help as well:

https://www.gorving.com/tips-inspira...-rv-dealership
Old 08-28-2024, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice.
Old 09-01-2024, 06:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

This is it!

We picked it up yesterday. I still can't believe we got one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240831_112808.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	189761