Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2024, 11:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New RV Owner with 2017 Navion

I'm recently retired and we bought a 2017 Winnebago Navion with only 8,000 miles on it. It was garage kept, hardly used, and in great condition. I'm learning a lot about it as we go. I replaced the chassis battery and I'm wondering if the coach batteries need replacing. I'm sure I'll be asking lots more questions on this forum. Happy to be here!
Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 11:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to a whole different world, full of lots of surprises, both good and bad!
So it is good to try to look ahead and see what might be coming 'round the corner!
Batteries are one of those things that are hard to predict as the "age" differently. Much depends on the age but more on their history!
Well taken care of and treated very carefully can last twice as long, so knowing what others have done is really tough!

You "might" be able to get a date off some batteries label but how they have been treated is tricky. Coach batteries are one that I tend to assume they are not going to be in good condition. If the RV has been on a lot for some time, they rarely give good service after, as they are so often ignored and abused on the lot!

Are you a DIY guy or looking for what to replace them with if they are, in fact, near death?
One of the first things that may surprise/disappoint a new user is the fact that the coach battery disconnect switch, DOES NOT disconnect ALL the drains on those batteries! There are safety items left connected!
Careful watching is important to keep from killing the first set of batteries when first getting a handle on what actually happens, rather than what seems would happen!

Stay in touch and ask any questions that may come up. It can save a lot of heartache if we can get it figured BEFORE it dies!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 01:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Being far from an expert on the subject, I will give my thoughts. Lets say the batteries you have seem to be in good condition. With that said what type of camping do you plan on doing. Would it be always plugged in to shore power or are you going to camp using the batteries. When not camping are you able to keep coach plugged in at home. As said there is alot of items that will drain batteries.

I keep my coach plugged in all the time, I am always camped at a FHU site. For me coach batteries last for a long time. I will say that the batteries you have are the original ones, so I would replace. Start your adventures with as least headaches as possible.

If replacing batteries please, please take pictures of the hooked up batteries before removing any cables. As you remove cables tie ends together and label. I know it sounds stupid but there are many posts with people asking about where does this battery cable go.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 07:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Be Happy makes a very good point! The way we use the RV has a lot to do with what we get out of the batteries!
We are also rarely going to be where we do not have power plugged in. that means that when we shop for coach batteries, we look for less as we need less. Bigger, more expensive batteries can let you go longer without plugging but if that is not what you do, the cheaper batteries will work fine.
We have used just the hybird battery that is often called "deep cycle". The name is somewhat suspect as they are most often used for fishing boats where they start the engine and also run a trolling motor. There are three types in the lead /acid traditional battery.
Start which gives lots of sudden power, deep cycle which gives smaller power over longer periods and then the hybrid which is kind of a cross of the two.
I might suggest going with what you have and find if they suit or if they are near dead.

That can let you get a better idea of what they have left. But that also gets back to how you plan to use the RV!
If you are going out to nowhere and planning several overnights without hookups, you plan different than if the first few trips are to places where power is onhand and you are not stuck way out in the boonies with no battery power to run important things like the furnace on a freezing night!

When doing new things, we like to ease into it a bit slow and save those way far out/way lonely trips for when we know more what to expect! It's a nice thought to have folks all around you in a campground who are almost always glad to help. Just in case you can't find that "special" switch to make something work!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote