Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2024, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to MH - Just starting search 2016 Navion 24J

Hi, my sister and I (and 2-4 doxies) are looking at a 2016 Winnebago Navion 24J in Florida today. No idea what we are doing, but the google searches I've done so far are not scaring me off. Hope to be a MH owner soon! Not worried about driving it - my regular vehicle is a GMC Yukon Denali XL.
DoxieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 11:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings DoxieMom,
I believe traveling with dogs is a very good reason to own your own motorhome.
Please let us know if you end-up buying the Navion.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-13-2024, 05:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Slowing down

Hi Eagle 5! We passed on the motorhome from the estate sale. We have decided to rent one first - rent a couple different ones while we keep doing research! Then buy one. I'm a potter and pretty busy with fall events, so might try to push it off a bit. But then again, once bitten LOL......
Old 09-13-2024, 06:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When shopping we never get enough info but there are a couple sites which can add to the knowledge easy enough to use.
We may see an ad and not know if worth time to drive over to look, so looking first can cut some time.
I like the parts catalog to look at how plumbing runs and it also can help to spot where the beds are!
https://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

The Winnebago home site can be a portal to lot of info:
https://www.winnebago.com/
Look under the owners tab for lots of links to drawings and owners manuals! Product info if looking at newish models?

Good luck on the trek as I find that part the worst!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the info!!!
Old 09-13-2024, 09:52 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieMom View Post
Hi Eagle 5! We passed on the motorhome from the estate sale. We have decided to rent one first - rent a couple different ones while we keep doing research! Then buy one. I'm a potter and pretty busy with fall events, so might try to push it off a bit. But then again, once bitten LOL......
I think renting first is a great idea! My wife and I rented all four sizes from Cruise America, and that helped us to know that we really wanted one, and which one. Finally, we decided on a Minnie Winnie 22M, and we have never regretted our decision. We too travel with a dog.
The best thing about using a motorhome is when you pull-out of the driveway, you are on vacation! With a trailer, you are not on vacation until you set-up camp, or so it seems to me.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 09-13-2024, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
The best thing about using a motorhome is when you pull-out of the driveway, you are on vacation! With a trailer, you are not on vacation until you set-up camp, or so it seems to me.
I tend to agree to a point. I've owned two TTs and one MH and there are some things to consider.

1. If you won't be able to store a MH safely at home, keep in mind that RV storage yards across the country are prime targets for catalytic converter thefts. I've had two stolen. A TT in a storage yard doesn't have the same problem.

2. With a TT, if you want to leave the campsite to explore, go to dinner, etc., you can use your tow vehicle. With a MH, you don't have that option unless you tow a vehicle (aka toad) which brings a whole new level of complexity and cost. Your Denali can tow many lighter TT's but isn't suitable as a toad. Not any small car is flat-towable (without a trailer or dolly). The list of suitable toads is getting smaller and smaller, and the towing hardware can set you back several thousands of dollars, especially if you don't DIY.

3. On the other hand, a 24' MH is small enough to explore most places, but you still have to put everything into travel mode before leaving your campsite. We had a great time in Alaska in a 22' rental class C but we were pretty much on the road the whole time, never spent more than a night or two in one place and didn't have much stuff, so we were pretty much always in travel mode. It all depends on your style.

Personally, were it not for some accessibility issues (our motorhome has a wheelchair lift), I think we would have stuck with a TT.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote