Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2024, 07:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Not so newbie, TT Generator Suggestions?

Hello all. My wife heather and I are new to the RV world. Both of us are excited. looking for some recommendations on small generators for our Minnie flx. any suggestions would be great and appreciated. Heather and I love the outdoors. both "foodies" we can't wait to travel to great eats across the country. thank you in advance. stay safe.
Inner Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:56 AM   #2
Open to Discussion

I'm a newbie motorhome owner AND visitor to these forums. So... what does "TT" stand for? Thanks for not judging in advance ��
YoYoDadddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

For your TT travel trailer ��
I would recommend the Honda eu2200i generator, 46 lbs, and can be modified to run on propane (def the way to go!) or coupled with the Honda companion ($$$) to give the full 30 amps power needed. With o soft start kit you could run a/c and everything else off one generator!!! Albeit one large load at a time.
Hutch Mountain can sell all, even provide pre-converted unit.
Bill
Wmlunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoDadddyO View Post
I'm a newbie motorhome owner AND visitor to these forums. So... what does "TT" stand for? Thanks for not judging in advance ��
TT = Travel Trailer
TV = Tow Vehicle (to tow your TT)
Old 04-06-2024, 08:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Honda makes the best most reliable and quietest generators.
However, if you want to run on propane, the Honda 2200 with propane modification will cost twice the price of a number of suitably sized dual fuel generators, which require no modification. If price is no object, go for Honda. We got a Champion 2500w dual fuel for $600 and it has worked great for years. And at only 39#, it’s 10# lighter than the Honda. Keep in mind that a generator running on propane outputs 20% less amperage than the same generator running on gasoline because of the lower btu content of propane. Not a big deal, as we’ve found the 1,800w propane out put of our generator to be sufficient to do anything we want in our TT, including running the roof A/C modified with an easy start (a device that reduces the start-up draw of the A/C compressor). We went with propane instead of gasoline because, we don’t have to carry messy smelly gasoline with us in a can, and like that we can run for 30 hours on a single 20# bottle of propane. In winter, when we use a furnace, we carry an extra bottle of propane in the TV bed. In milder weather we don’t. We just plug into one of the bottles on the tongue. Also keep in mind that if you are towing with an SUV, you can’t carry gasoline inside the vehicle. You’d have to mount it on the trailer somewhere. We carry our generator easily in the pass through because when you shut it off, it runs the fuel system dry, such that there is no odor or gas remaining. But it’s a decision that you’ll have to make after camping and packing your gear a couple of times.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you are planning to run on LP the Champion is a better deal. Some people like the Predator from Harbor Freight. Honda is top of the line with the price to match.
I ran a set of paired Hondas for over a month straight after Hurricane Katrina and they are still going strong today.

The only downside to the Champion that I am aware of is it doesn't have a fuel pump if you are running gasoline, the Honda does. This is only an issue if you are using an auxiliary tank.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've been using the Firman dual fuel WH03242. Works as it should and quiet. Picked up some refurbs on eBay. One I picked up for $350 and the other I picked up for $425. Both were from Firman retailer. They work great.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Agreed that Honda is not the best priced value unit. But, as an engineer I hate stuff that doesn’t fully work right, and chose the higher price for their reliability and quality reputation. Hoping that shore power and solar will be adequate, the genny is just a backup.
Thx all! Bill
Wmlunt is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, generator